Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!!!

C

clint

Hi all, i have had a salamander (Jack) about 18 months and he (or now maybe a she) has grown to a good healthy size. i have tonight purchased 2 more babies and i put them in his tank for a bit.

Jack went nuts he was swimming around the tank looking for them and trying to climb on them. He didnt appear to be attacking them.

Then the most amazing thing happened. What i thought was his male organ opened and out came a little egg stuck to a rock.

What has happened? Could that turn into a baby? does a male need to be present for one to have babies (sorry for the stupid question). how young can they start having babies?

Thanks for the help!

J

jennifer

Sounds like Jack laid a spermatophore (sperm packet), not an egg.

If there is a big size difference, watch out for aggression and/or predation.

C

clint

Thanks!! for a while there i thought i had a girl not a boy!

Jack is about twice the size of Hunter and Nrl. The lady stated that Hunter and Nrl are about 12 months old??
Nrl her feet aren't quite there yet, they are still developing. We got them last night and put them into the tank with Jack but Jack just went crazy and wanted to mate as you have informed us. We took them out last night and put them into a smaller tank. I would really like to keep them all together as that is the main reason we bought them, so Jack can have a friend.
The two new ones have been sticking to land which is quite different to Jack. Do you think is it safe to put them all together or should we wait until the little ones mature a litle more, as Jack just seemed to want to mate with them last night and i am just worried we may end up stressing them out too much by having them with Jack.

Thanks for your help!

L

leanne

Here is an excellent example of a good terrestrial setup for ambystomas created by a member named Christian---more of his stuff in the photo section of the forum as well:

42913.jpg

M

mark

What do you mean by "feet... still developing"? If they are morphed axolotls or tiger hybrids they should have fully developed limbs by the time they leave the water. Feet would have arrived long before.

If there is a significant size difference you should keep them apart to avoid Jack from enjoying a very expensive meal (based on how much you paid for them) - they don't need friends, they are not sociable. Jack might be amorous but he's only interested in a one night stand rather than a long term relationship
wink.gif

Leanne is right - they should be in a terrestrial set-up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!