Sorry, but another question (tank)

justin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
justin slate
Sorry I've been asking so many questions! Hopefully there isn't a limit... I've been trying to stick to the chat but I've been missing most users.

Alright my question is this: I collected a Desmognathus fuscus in a streambed this morning.

I was under the impression this was an aquatic only salamander, but he stood on the land area of my collection bucket the entire trip back home.

Question: My initial idea for a tank setup was to have around 6 inches of water and place rocks in it to mimic a streambed (pushing the water level up to 8 inches in someplaces.... 1 in others). I have hesitations about a setup like this: First, I'm afraid a rock might slip, crushing him (I try to stick to flatter rocks but those wont work in this setup). I currently have him in an aquatic newt setup: an inch of gravel on the bottom, some hornwart, a flat stone on the bottom, and some sterile (Don't worry, sterilized and cleaned a month ago) bark floating on top.

He prefers to remain hidden under his rock and I've seen him attempt to dig in the gravel. What sort of enviroment would allow me to observe and provide him a non-stressful, happy tank?

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Justin Flechsig wrote on Sunday, 26 June, 2005 - 21:04 :</font>

"I was under the impression this was an aquatic only salamander, but he stood on the land area of my collection bucket the entire trip back home. "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

While they spend a lot of time in brooks and springs, it's not uncommon to find them a few yards away from the water's edge. It is rare for them to stray away much further though.

In regards to set-up, while I've never kept them, I did come up with an idea while reading your post that might work for you. I took about 5 seconds to draw it up and not necessarily proportionate... please don't mock me
biggrin.gif

38507.jpg

The container that holds the substrate would be a clear plastic cylindrical piece with aquarium sealant around the bottom to keep it in place and to keep the water out. Something like a clear plastic pitcher w/o a handle and the bottom cut off would work. The pump would force the water around it and create a continuous flow of running water.

What do you think? Would this work?

That actually looks like a really good idea, I use a similar setup (Without current) for my CFBies. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back