Infection

D

devon

Hey everyone,

I know this isn't a frog forum, but I figure you can help me...

My albino pacman frog has injured his leg somehow. I have no idea how he could have possibley done it...he's on bed-a-beast, and has a shallow waterdish with a smooth stone, and a silk plant. There's nothing sharp or rough in his tank.

It looks really swollen and is a strange shape...I'm pretty sure it's not broken, because he's holding it normally, and he's not acting any differently. He ate a cricket a few minutes ago.

I'll upload a picture of his leg:

32369.jpg

It looks redder then normal, but I don't think it's red leg...I just think a lot of blood is gathering there because of the wound.

What should I do?

I definitely wouldn't rule out redleg, especially if there isn't any other plausible cause for the wound. Ceratophrys are especially suseptible to redleg infections due to their squatting nature. If going to the vet isn't an option, then I would suggest treating it for redleg.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on March 11, 2005)

Do you have any recommended red leg treatments, that I can get at a drug store? I'm really worried about him...he has a good appetite, and is eating now, but that doesn't nessacarily mean he's ok...He's on toilet paper right now, in a fresh tank and clean dechlorinated water (the toilet paper is moist too)

I need to do something really quickly...I will be heartbroken if this guy dies.

I don't take my frogs out of the cage everyday...most people don't! Once every few days, I'll take them out for a checkover...I don't like digging them out of their holes every day! He wasn't like this a few days ago
sad.gif
sad.gif

Help!

Also, putting neosporin on the open wound after the bath should help to heal the skin. I'd also recommend using paper towels as substrate while he recovers.

alright, good idea. I'll go out and get some betadine and neosporin.

Last night, before I went to bed, I gave him a bath in some water with melafix in it...I'm assuming you know what that is, but in case you don't...it's melaleuca oil, and is used for fish as an all natural and effective treatment for fin rots, fungus, open wounds, etc...

This morning, the swelling has gone down A LOT, the wound no longer smells, and his legs are not nearly as red. I'll take some pictures a little later.

Do you think more melafix baths would be useful?

I was recommended against melafix when I asked other forum members about it. It's a herbal remedy and has little/no scientific backing, it may even be slightly toxic. On the other hand, if it seems to be working then you might not want to stop.

Well, It definitley works for fish 0_0 I got a male betta from a guy who didnt want to put in the effort to repair the damaged fins that his cichlids ate...and the melafix had his fins fixed up in less then a week.

Last night, when I put him in the melafix, I just bathed the injured leg, and then rinsed him off in dechlorinated water before putting him back in the tank. Since I wasn't quite sure about it, I didn't allow his entire body to soak.

I have a no name brand of "neosporin" as neosporin and polysporin are both owned by an animal testing company, which I like to avoid.

The medicinal ingredients are: Bacltracin 500 units, polymyxin B sulfate 10,00 units.

It also has white petrolatum.

Is this alright?

With regular, brand-name, neosporin...the ingredients are the same, except neosporin only has 400 units of bacltracin and only 5000 units of the polymyxin, and it has another medicinal ingredient that my stuff doesn't have....neomycin.

Oh, actually, the stuff I have is exactly like polysporin. Same ingredients, with the same units. Is polysporin alright to use on frog injuries? If so, this would also be fine.

"I have a no name brand of "neosporin" as neosporin and polysporin are both owned by an animal testing company, which I like to avoid."

What do you think we're doing with it? We use it on animals to help heal their wounds too.

And I'm not so sure it's red-leg, if it was it wouldn't be acting normally, but if what you're doing is helping it's leg wound then keep trying it.
You may want to check the edges of the water bowl, just because they're not exposed doesn't mean it can't get to them.
Also he could of done it just hopping around at night, they tend to bang off of the glass a lot at night, maybe it hurt itself doing that, or maybe it hit the stone wrong.

Ah, well, yes, I know that we're putting it on our animals to heal our wounds, but animal testing is a lot different...like the draize test, where they use rabbits (because they don't have tear ducts) and smear the chemicals in their eyes, and leave it there for days, and record what happens. Or they inject it under their skin, or shave off a layer of their skin and rub it into the wound.

I'm going to buy some tetracyclin today...I went to petsmart and petcetera, and neither had it...I went to the pharmacy, but you need to have a prescription...I'm going to try the 'All Care Vet & Pet' but they're closed today, so I'll go tomorrow...he's looking a bit better today! I'll take some pictures later.

Thanks a lot for all of your help
kiss.gif
smile6.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back