Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which newt should i start with?

I

ian

It is very likely to be a chinese FB. since JFB is not that common in these days. And you probably won't be able to distinguish the sex this early yet. Unless they are already full growth.

H

hayden

I'm fairly certain that those pictured are Japanese Fire Belly Newts. Its not always the best choice to get your newts from a dealer. Private Breeders generally know alot more about the animal and the animals are for sure Captive Bred. Although, out of the dealers I have seen this one seems to be fairly reliable. He carries an array of different species and from the pictures they look generally healthy.

J

joan

Mark Lucas trades heavily in wild-caught animals. I agree with Hayden when he says you should get something captive bred from someone who knows a great deal about their species.

E

erick

Yea he informed me that the fire bellies he has are wild caught and are Chinese. What should i do?

H

hayden

Erick, I suggest doing a bit of research and decide on an animal that you want to care for. try to pick something somewhat common so that you can find out enough information about it and so that if you have problems people on this forum will have experience with it. I suggest getting something from a reliable breeder in the For Sale/Giveaway section. Also, try to be somewhat specific when you are looking for a species. Don't just take anything without doing any research. I know firsthand that this isn't the best way to go about things.

E

erick

Hayden thanks a lot for the info. I have been searching the internet and mainly this site for info on C. orientalis and have found a bunch of info. I think im ready with my current setup to house a pair of these newts.

E

erick

Are there any newts that are more active and hardier that can be kept also that i should look into?

H

hayden

Well, I've been a big fan of Taricha ever since I got them last year. They are hardy, aquatic, always out and about, and really easy to care for. I've had much better luck with them than any other newt species I've kept.

E

erick

Where can i find a dealer online? These are the warty newts right?

(Message edited by miamie on February 10, 2006)

E

erick

The dealer im talking to sells. Chinese warty newts. Any info on these? I couldnt find very much info on them

(Message edited by miamie on February 10, 2006)

H

hayden

Try Caudata Culture. I think they have at least one caresheet on Paramesotriton.

H

hayden

Oh, I must have been mistaken. I'd still reccomend getting some from a breeder on C.org. Dealer's newts might look OK and may continue to look OK for several more weeks but they are often time starved or diseased.

ali

Reaction score
I'd recommend taricha granulosa too. I started with c.o. and then got taricha's, and I absolutely love them.

There are a few people who have said they might have some eggs soon.

J

joan

"Dealer" often equates to "wild-caught". You'd be much better going with something that's captive bred. For one, it's not ripped from its natural home and shipped all over the place, getting stressed as it goes. And 2.) captive bred animals are usually healthier, not having the parasites and other nasties that can come from wild-caught.

I agree with Hayden. Anyone who's ever owned a Taricha thinks they're just about the most awesome newt to have. They're hardy, they're not shy, and they're brightly colored. Mine are getting ready to breed soon, as are most people's newts, with the coming spring.

Keep an eye out in the 'for sale' section, and buy something from someone who's bred them, not just gone out and harvested them.

P

pin-pin

Erick, I noticed that you live in Florida, which is known to have rather "warm" summers.

I just wanted to make sure you are aware of the money to keep many salamanders alive in a hot area as you are new to the hobby. Some enthusiasts (like Tim) have cooling bills that are hundreds of dollars.

Florida also is known for many reptile/amphibian conventions. You might have a better chance of finding captive bred specimens there than going through an internet agency. Many times it is heavily reptile-oriented, but that might also be a route to consider in the Florida heat.

You would also get to see the animals in person and make contact with the seller (who should be at the very least knowledgeable about keeping them alive.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1