Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two Paddletails Together?

D

danielle

About a week ago I purchased two newts. I assumed that they would get along and whatnot since they had about eight together in a tank at the pet shop. Little did I know that the paddle tails were the one newt species that are aggressive and I started witnessing fighting/biting between the two of them. My question is, will they continue to fight until one is dead or will they get over it? Do I need to separate them? They both live in a 10-gallon tank and eat very well. Neither have the ulcers from fighting yet and are healthy so I am unsure of what to do. All responses are appreciated, thanks. ;]

J

jesper

Separate them, maximum one in 10 gallon.
They will probably kill each other if you don't.

M

mark

Yeah, unless you have a much bigger tank, they may very well kill each other. At the very least, the fighting WILL DEFINITELY NOT stop, and injuries could occur. I am angry that pet stores sell such an agressive species without informing buyers of it...(of course they dont know enough themselves.) One reason they may not fight as much at the stores is because they are so stressed from being overcrowded/housed poorly that they probably don't use their natural insincts of aggression, as they are concerned enough with other things!

joe

Reaction score
i have heard that Pachytriton Labiatus species get very aggressive, but could i ask you all a question? i've had one for ten years on it's own and i'm feeling quite bad for him i'm not sure how lonely he is. ten years is a long time and he was alone long before i had him. i'm thinking of getting him a playmate, is this wise?

W

william

NO NO NO. Newts are solitary animals they are not the same as humans, and as you have already read they are aggressive. Newts don't need companions, it is not a good idea to keep pachytriton together.

joe

Reaction score
Thank god i asked
happy.gif

W

william

sorry if you thought i was a bit aggressive, but i just wanted you to know that it is definitely not a good idea to put them together,

H

hayden

Well,
In my experience Pachy males are more aggressive among each other than males and females...If you have lots(and i mean lots) of hiding spots, plenty of food, and a large tank(20+ Gallons) I think It would work... I kept a pair together for quite some time w/o any problems. But It depends on an individual newt species.

colin

Reaction score
I have 1 male and 4 females living together and i never see any agression between them at all. there was soem initially for about a week but it has been a long time now,
he is happy in his harem
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!