Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gravid Spotted sal...a little unsure.

R

raphael

I just recently bought a second spotted salamander female as a mate for my first salamander. When I received it she looked unusually fat and I thought maybe somethin was wrong. When I asked the vendor what could be wrong he said that all his females were gravid. I'm a little unsure as to what to do, I set up the tank at a slope with some jungle mix. I have one of those U-shaped logs for her to hide under and there's a little pool of water. I read, was told, and observed that spotted's prefer to lay their eggs on the marshy part of ponds not in the actual water. If you have any tips please let me know any help will be appreciated.
thanks,
Raphael

R

raphael

I don't think that she's eating properly, I don't really know what to do. Please help.

J

jennifer

Personally, I think it's unethical for anyone to collect adult animals and sell them, especially when they are gravid and right before breeding season. And depending on the state where they were collected, it could be illegal as well. I don't hold it against you, just thought you should know.

It often takes a new animal a while to adjust to a new habitat, especially when it's coming from the wild. Keep her in a cool place and don't worry about her not eating for a while. In terms of behavior, does she seem to be adjusting?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1