Help with water dog

S

shelly

hi

got a water dog by accident. whats the best way of keeping it healthly while it turns into a tiger salamander?

also some advice on the type of set up it will need in terms of size and substrate will be good. done some reading but will be good to hear from people who keep tiger salamanders.

been posting on the axolotl forum as thats what i thought i had at first

Are you sure it's a larval tiger salamander because many people make the mistake of calling Necturus species waterdogs which will never morph. If its possible can you post a picture so that you can be 100% sure.

If it is a larval tiger salamander check this out: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml scroll down to the part that says "housing larvae."

started looking into a tank today. going to get some prices from glaziers first. was thinking of 24 by 18 by 18 inches, but as im having it made up i could go for 12 inch height if you think that will be big enough. was goling to stock up on some compost bags as this time of year its easy to get them to use as a base for everything else in the tank, get a shallow dish for the water and then just build it up from there.

whats your views on the need for a lid?

monster is still tiny only a couple of inches long and still has half his tail fin so i think i have a little while yet so im not rushing out and buying a tank that will cost me stupid amounts of money like i did with my axie tank.

im relieved that he is a sal in some respects as he is so different from how fraggle was at the same kind of size that at least now i know there isnt anything wrong with either of them.

i love watching monster hunt, something that fraggle doesnt do. fraggle seem to stumble into food by accident and then start looking for it once he realises whats there while monster swims round the tank searching.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back