Roughskinned newt would not eat!

J

jesse

<font color="0000ff">I had a Rough skinned newt that wouldn't eat. She ate the first day I brought her home from the pet store, but wouldn't touch anything else after that. I gave her a worm the first time. She eventually died because I couldn't get her to eat again after the first day.Any explanation for this, I would like to know what you all think. So that maybe in the future I could prevent a similar experience. </font>

I doubt that she died from not eating. There was probably something wrong with her before you got her. From now on if you get a salamander and it doesn't eat after a few days, don't get scared this is pretty common for new sals (my Necturus maculosus didn't eat for awhile)

Like Ryan said, the newt was probably sick. I have had a few Taricha that slipped below a certain body mass (skin & bones) where they would refuse to eat by themselves. If you manage to pull them through that (may require force feeding) they end up being the most well behaved eaters later on.
Foods to try when a taricha refuses to eat can include: chopped earth worms, small wax worms, black worms.

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. I had one other newt and he ate just fine. I guess there was something wrong with her after all.

Taricha are usually great feeders when healthy..but my experience is once they get sick..or stop eating, it's very hard to get them back on track.

They are often not in great shape when they come home from the pet shop. Patience,a cool,clean set up and live food, make a huge difference.

They are easily the most personable and active of my newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back