Refeeding syndrome

J

joan

How do you recommend avoiding refeeding syndrome? I acquired two Taricha granulosa juveniles (about 10-12cm (incl. tail)) last night, and both are pretty skinny. I don't think they're deathly skinny, but they look like they haven't had a good meal in quite some time. I fed each a 1cm piece of nightcrawler, and both accepted quite readily. I was pretty surprised, as normally you get transport stress and whatnot and they don't feed right away.

So, how much/how often should I feed to avoid refeeding syndrome? Both are going to be in quarantine probably until the beginning of the year, at least. They're pretty small compared to my established T. grans, so I don't want to introduce them until they've put on significant weight.

Feed daily about 10% of what you would normally feed them for at least two weeks. At that time, you should be able to slowly increase the amount of food offered to the newts.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back