Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire bellies and fish?

E

erik

Can I have fish together with my japanese fire bellied newts? If this works just fine, does anybody have suggestions on what kind of fish?

Grateful for suggestions, Erik

H

heather

I personally would not recommend housing them with anything other than small, non-agressive schooling fish. Danios, scissortails, tetras, minnows and the like would be OK. A larger newt may try to eat them. Ghost shrimp are fine to be in a tank with newts and may provide a food source to some newts. Trumpet snails are also good as they turn rocks in the tank. I would not advise on buying any other type of snail however, most eat up your plants and reproduce to quickly. I would not place any sort of "algea eater" fish into the tank as they often suck newts to death. Aggressive or large fish may peck at the newts or just eat them outright. Larger fish also produce more ammonia and excrement that may poison the water it shares with the newt. Also you must consider the fact that most fish enjoy warmer temperatures than newts (over 70 degrees). Cheers!

I

ian

Tetras or any Rasbora including Danios are not the best, since those require higher temperature. and the newts require lower temperature. Why make anyone of the animals suffer for only our own view pleasure. So I recommand not to use those fishes.

The only one that might be suitable is White Clond Minnow. Since it need cooler temperature.

ali

Reaction score
Agree with Ian. The only fish that swims slow enough not to stress the newt, fast enough to not be eaten, and enjoys the same temperatures as the newt is the white cloud minnow. Ghost shrimp and some snails would be okay too (although I personally don't recommend snails, others seem to do so).

If you use anything else you will certainly be stressing out some animal and I think that would simply be cruel.

H

heather

Huh. I took the "fish species" in that reply from the newt housing FAQ on this website. But it's all good.

E

edward

The newt housing FAQ is a generic FAQ to cover the widest range of species possible. Some of those fish could be kept with C. e. ensicauda and C. e. popei for example as this species prefers tropical and near tropical temperatures while C. orientalis needs much colder temperatures.

Ed

E

erik

Thanks for all comments! My intention with fish was to improve the balance by getting algea and small food particles eaten. It seems taking only the factors of rivalry, nitrogen production and temperature into account limits the selection quite a lot. Shrimps seem like a good idea.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!