Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marmoratus strange behaviour

P

philip

maybe some of you regular marmoratus breeders have seen this. my marmoratus are just beginning to come into breeding condition, although no where near ready for egg-laying. but the other night i witnessed my very large female doing what i can only describe as phantom egg-laying. she was grabbing a leaf in the usual manner with her hind feet, and neatly clasping and folding the leaf as though she had layed an egg in there. this was repeated several times over the course of perhaps an hour, but obviously no eggs were layed. is this common behaviour? because in my many hours of watching newts i have not witnessed this before.

J

jennifer

I have seen this once before, also in marmoratus. The female had just started going into the water and the males weren't crested yet. Warm-up exercises perhaps?

P

philip

jennifer, in the instance that you witnessed this behaviour, did the female go on to lay eggs. the reason i ask this is that my female is huge, and therefore possibly very old. i know that in reptiles many of them lose the ability to reproduce with old age, and i was worried that this may be the case with my newt. it is a wc. individual and i therefore have no idea of the age. seems healthy enough though, so i guess i'll just have to wait.

J

jennifer

This female was fairly young CB. I believe that she did lay eggs a month or more later.

M

meghan

My karelinii are doing the same thing. It's almost as if it's wishful thinking

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1