New 10 gal tank set-up suggestions

K

karen

First, I'd like to thank everyone for all their help in answering my questions. It's been so long since I've taken care of newts and it's wonderful to have a place to ask questions and learn from others.

That being said, today I started my "new" set-up for my 2 eastern newts. (For anyone new to the saga, they started out as class "pets" in a tiny terrarium, then I took them home over Thankgiving break- actually kidnapped- and placed them in a 2.5 gallon tank which evolved from mostly terrestrial to mostly aquatic.) I am using a Fluval 1 filter (the smallest one), have off-white large gravel/small stones as subtsrate and I have a few live plants in it (Thanks to everyone here, I read a post on snails just as I observed 2 on one of the plants and got rid of them!) and a large piece of rose quartz that sticks above water for hanging out (they don't go on land much at all). (Also purchased a small feeding dish to minimize feeding mess/leftovers) and a thermometer. I'm not done with the tank, but since everyone here is so helpful, does anyone have any recommendations- things that worked out well for them (or things that bombed and should be avoided)? Thanks and have a happy new year!

So are they in a ten gallon now, or still the 2.5?

I set up my 10 gallon tank yesterday but have to do tests on the water. Currently they are still in the 2.5 gallon tank but will be moved soon.

you need to do the test after a day or two wiht some decaying food in there. Testing on new water doesn't tell you much. Be patient.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back