Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fungus on tail

K

kristien

I have a Taricha Granulosa which has had a fungus growing on the end of its tail. The fungus seems to be eating at the tail because pieces are falling off. I currently have it in a dirt quarantine and have been dipping the tail in a 50% water/hydrogen peroxyde solution as suggested. Any other precautions to take? Should I keep the soil moist? Does there have to be a dish for water?

Someone also mentioned that herbal "Melafix" medication for fungus/bacteria that you put in the water of the tank. Anyone ever use that?

ali

Reaction score
Kristien, I have had luck with Melafix for a wound if you catch it early. If pieces are already falling off, I fear it is too late for Melafix. However, if you end up having the newt in water before it is healed, I don't think it could hurt. Do you have any photos? How bad is it?

J

joan

Kristien, dirt quarantine is fine. Keep the soil moist, but not wet. No water dish, as this defeats the purpose of the dirt quarantine. If you're treating with Hydrogen Peroxide, be sure to rinse off the tail when you've treated it, as this can be toxic if left sit on the skin.

T. granulosa can do just fine on land. As long as it continues to eat, I would keep it on dirt until after you're sure it's completely healed.

Melafix is made from tea tree oil. It can be toxic in large concentrations. I don't recommend whole-tank treatments with melafix. If the hydrogen peroxide treatments are working (you may want to try salt baths also), then don't bother with melafix.

K

kristien

Thanks for the responses guys/girls. I will get a snapshot of it in a few days. The newt hasn't eaten in probably 3 weeks that I've seen. I am just doing desperate measures but I think I've waited too long, thinking that it wasn't that serious. I will try the salt bath using natural sea salt and see what happens. I have tried many different feeding techniques including live food and tweezers etc... The newt seems interested at first and then turns away. I'll try the salt bath and see where we end up. I've also heard from another source that the hydrogen peroxyde dip is not a good thing. So much conflicting info but the most natural methods are the most trustworthy to me.

K

kristien

I have noticed that it seems the tail fungus has diminished quite a bit if not all together while in the dirt quarantine. The newt still hasn't eaten in probably a month! Would you suggest putting it back into the tank with the rest of the newts? The tail looks fine at this point and has for a few days now.

J

jennifer

In order to get it to eat, you probably need to get it back into water. You might want to put it in shallow water by itself first.

K

kristien

OK thanks..I'll try that.
happy.gif

K

kristien

Well it's back in the water and still no eat. It has been well over a month since the T. Granulosa has eaten. Is there a method of force feeding? It's either that or it dies. No more tail fungus though that's a good sign in a way. I've tried offering live foods, pellets, blood worms everything to no avail. It refuses the food by turning away from it mostly. Any suggestions about force feeding?

(Message edited by Kristien on April 12, 2006)

J

jennifer

It is possible to force feed, but it carries a risk of injury, and there is no assurance that it will save the animal. It is best to have 2 people, one to hold the animal, the other to do the feeding. It's not something I can recommend doing without a vet.

K

kristien

Well the newt was unfortunately pronounced dead today. This being after about 3 months of not eating. Live and let die I guess... there's only so much that could have been done.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1