Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt confusion

R

ribby

Hi, I have some ribbed newts and i was wonder if the male has the bump on the cloacla or a slit. I am almost sure the female has the slit but the female keeps wresting on top the male and the male's bump looks bigger, thanks.

P

paris

in ribbed newts, it is the male that wrestles the female on top of him. he usually waits below looking out for a female and snatches on to one that swims over him. the male will carry the female around on his back for a long time before actually doing the mating dance (they will circle around each other usually with one set of arms locked-like square dancers). this carry around is a sign of breeding age but not necessarily breeding-they will also do it when excited by food. both the male and female have slits -its just the males is extremely swollen and a longer slit.

F

felipe

Its easy!!! In ribbed newts, the male have visible larger and stroger arms, and the arms of the feamele is normal!

J

jeff

well normal is a subjective term, I mainly wanted to know if the large bump on the abdomen is the sender of spermaphors or to receive them.
But I am quite sure at this point who is what sex.

al

Reaction score
Both sexes can have some enlargement of their cloaca. The males will be larger according to their age and size. As you probably know the male is slender with more pronounced forearm with distinguishable nuptial pads that look like "muscles". the female is larger and more rotund. The male deposits spermatophores and the female picks them up. They will breed year round, but the males seem to only produce viable spermatophores 6 months out of the year (fall-spring). I have found younger males are willing to do the breeding dance, but may not be able to properly manipulate the females over the spermatophore. It appears with most species, age and size directly relates to fecundity (fertility).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1