Baby c.o. 's

J

jenny

Hi all, i have 9 baby C.o. 's and they all have there front legs formed and are now starting to get there back legs. Can somebody tell me what I need to do next , I know they will start to become terrestrial but need more info plz. Thank you, anything appreciated.

What have you been feeding them? You probably can start to provide some land area so that they can climb on.

Mean while, you have to start preparing for a terrestrial habitat for them. The habitat is designed with what kind of food you are to provide your newts.

I will suggest you to have a look at Jennifer's page. Very informational.
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/Cp_juv.html
Not for CO, but CP. however, they are very similar. I have followed this page to raise my CO babies. I got 40+ of them and they are doing fine.
This should get you started with.

From hatching to metamorphosis takes roughly 3 months. If they are just getting back legs, you still have a few weeks. When the gills begin to get smaller, or you see any of them come to the surface for air, it's time to add an island of some kind for them. After that, you can try keeping them in a shallow semi-aquatic setup, or terrestrial.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back