Spastic newt and other questions

D

dani

man, all i do is ask questions around here...guess that's what it's for, though..i have been reading nearly all the articles avail and am unsure how to apply some of the advice in the following cases:

i was observing my brother-in-law's newts. he has three c.o.'s that he has owned less than one week...

one is large and very healthy looking [steve] and is the only one to stay in the water. he flies around the tank at spastic speeds, going nuts all over the place, and then he will perch on something for a while, before going crazy again. he seems to attack his reflection, according to brother in law. he eats like a pig and shows no fear of humans. he has a bump by his lip, which we are presuming he got from running into things. it is showing no signs of infection [i read the article on infected injuries] so we arent sure what to do about it. is it normal for a newt to be so highly active?

next in line we have betty, who is much smaller/thinner than steve. betty stays out of the water almost all the time, going back in occasionally to get wet. she will not eat, even being hand fed with tweezers. other than this, i cannot find any visible signs of illness. is this a case where we should try to eliminate the land surface and force betty into the water more? is it likely that she is just stressed and will eat after adapting?

lastly, we have rick james. he is the smallest/thinnest of the newts. missing one leg, was given free by the pet store because they new theyd never sell him. he stays out of the water mostly, probably because swimming is difficult. he will eat when tweezer fed.

something i am wondering, though, is given the aggressive behavior of steve, is it possible that he is domineering and keeping them out of the water?

quick update on newt status:

betty has just eaten a live cricket [bro-in-law is experimenting with various foods to try to entice her to eat]. it took her a while, but she ate one. so, at least she is eating now...

My first newt was nuts like that, but eventually calmed down. He died in a terrible accident not health related, his budy was the exact oppostite in ALL aspects, twice his size, and about as calm as a pacman frog. neither of them ventured into the water much, but the surviving buddy does go for the occasionall swim espicially now that he has an underwater cave, he really likes it. Or he will submerge and hong out in the plants, hiding. Id say just give em a while and everyone should calm down.

Ya i agree, just give them some time to adjust and all should be well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back