Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I woke up and my newt is crippled :S

J

jessy

hello!

I think this newt likes making problems for me... this morning when I was feeding Newt I noticed his leg was all bent up funny it's his back right and I've noticed him moving funny on it for a bout a week but it didn't seem strange to me until tonight, I just assumed he was a bad swimmer. But today he wasn't moving it at all, and it's bent completely upwards, he wasn't using it to swim or to walk on land.

anyone know if I can help him at all? he's in the tank, just him and a snail.. so unless the snail pulled out some kung-fu of something... i don't know.. any ideas?

Thanks!!!
happy.gif

C

cecilia

maybe he broke his leg, maybe a bad fall on it or maybe while he was eating. just give it time is it swollen or infected? if it is clean your tank and try not to disturb him

J

james

If it goes on for a long period, or he is looking extremely unhappy, you may want to consider amputation. This isn't as bad as it sounds, as the leg will regrow after a few months. Your main worry would be infection to the wound. Maybe a trip to the vet would be better than home surgery.

J

jessy

oh my god, I could not cut his leg off.. I would deffinatly have to go to the vet for that.. His leg is a big swollen, I'm trying not to bug him too much, when I woke up this morning, he's still in the same place/position I left him in when I went to bed last night... and I left some food a few inches away from him and it hasn't been touched. Anybody know of a vet in the Ottawa area that might know about newts?

J

john

Get the snail out of there. If the newt is close to the snail and the snail decides to move, it could crush the newts limbs under its suction pad. It would most likely break the limb. It sounds like that is what happened. I have heard a couple of stories just like this one.

The only tankmates for newts, should be other newts of the same species. Thats it. Get the snail out of there and get that newt to a vet.

(Message edited by nuggular on May 18, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1