Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lighting....CFBN

J

jaia

Okay, the guy at the store said (thus why I am asking here first) that my newts (CFB; not JFB as earlier stated)would tolerant those lights desgined specifically for plants, or a uvb light (no heat).....he also said strip lighting is not enough to keep the plants alive and healthy. He also said UVb would help the newts.

I am aiming for lots of live plants so I will need the light.....

What light can I use that would keep my plants alive and not bother the newts (lights would be on for abt 10hrs a day).

Thanks a bunch

N

nesaraj

Strip lights, if kept to a minimum, should be fine. UVB is not neccesary for newts. I would look into an actinic lightbulb or something similar if I were you.

J

jaia

I have lots of hornwort, only plant that survives with turtles....with the newts, I was really hoping to be able to try new plants....smiles....thanks both of you

K

kaysie

You can always do a search of the forum for other low-light plants

E

edward

In the shoplights over my tanks at work and at home I use a combination of one warm tube and one cool tube. This will support the growth of many plants (including Utricularia, Lemna (duckweed), water sprite, ect.
Ed

J

jaia

Thank you.....the light I may be going with is the ZoMed Tropical Sun 5,500K Daylight Fluorescent Lamp (tube style for a hood). I was told this light produces low to no heat....am I being lied to....smiles.

Thanks all

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!