Found a Salamander

T

tami

Hi all, new to this site. My daughter found a Giant Salamander (we're in Northern California) in our yard and would like to keep it overnight to show her friends, after which we will let it go. I want to make sure that we keep it safe until tomorrow. RIght now we have it in an old fish tank with some of the area dirt where it was found. The tank currently has a cover on it. Is there anything else we should do? We will be letting it go tomorrow after 2:00. Thanks for your advice.

make sure there is no gap between the cover and the tank. so no escape for it yet, we dont want it to go to any place dangerous as well.

Maybe some fallen leaves in the area can give it some hidding place. fewer light and dont look at it too much. Cause I guess it might be pretty stressed.

Remember to wash your hands after touching it. And aviod touching it too much too. Don't stress it too much.

And maybe a water dish will give it a place to soak into water. just in case it might get too dry.

Hi Tami. I don't know the scientific name of the newt your daughter found. (I only looked briefly, and have only heard of chinese and japanese "giant salamanders." Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the species will post. Knowing the scientific name would allow us to see if there is a care sheet located on this site for that particular species, which would be most helpful!

Hi Tami,

If you are only keeping it overnight, you don't need to do too much. Adding a water dish and keeping a part of the soil wet is good.

Remember to wash your hands BEFORE and after handling the salamander. As little handling as possible is best.

I wouldn't recommend feeding anything or introducing anything to the tank that has come into contact with other animals. This way you don't inadvertently introduce bacteria/fungus into its environment when you release it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back