Bloat

S

shonagh

Not 100% sure, but I think my mandarin salamander may have bloat. Can anyone tell me the best way to treat this? I don't have huge amounts of money unfortunately, so the cheaper the better!

Unfortunately,I don't have a digital camera. But I'll try and borrow one off someone ASAP.

Thanks for the link. I've read bloat can be due to a salamander not eating enough, and Abe's very sporadic with his feeding, so I suppose that could be something to do with it.

There aren't a lot of treatment options for bloat, and the inexpensive ones that are sometimes used (salt baths or antibiotic soaks) don't work well on a terrestrial sal. It doesn't make sense to think about treatment unless you are sure it's bloat. Could he be a she?

Ummm....anything's possible!I was sold Abe by someone who'd decided they didn't want to keep him/her for whatever reason and I'm not sure they were amazingly knowledgeable on the subject. Can you tell me the best way to check?

I did notice on most information it says under the mouth area bloats out too, but that bit seems OK so far.

Hi Shonagh,

This may or may not be of use to you but i've attached a picture of a female who was full of eggs a couple of weeks ago. They can get much bigger than this but the important thing to note is that the neck/throat, torso and limbs are unaffected - its all belly so to speak.

69985.jpg

69986.jpg

All the best with Abe,

Thanks,Mark. I did check the neck area, and that looked fine. The skin on Abe's body looked "tight", but seems alright today. I've never kept salamanders before so I'm a bit nervous about overlooking things that could be important.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back