Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of newt/salamander is this?

N

nick

There seem to be a lot of well informed people here, so I was hoping someone could help me identify what exactly this little critter is, he's very unique and a friend of mine is dying to know what it's called.
23035.jpg

B

benjamin

This animal looks Identical to what they think a group of large amphibians that became extinct over 248 million years ago, the lepospondyli. The picture looks like it's from an advertisement, are you sure this is an actual animal and not just some kind of hoax with a plastic toy. If this is an actual living, breathing animal it could be a living fossil.

B

benjamin

Judging from the site it came off of (consumptionjunction. com) It's probably just a big joke.

TJ

Reaction score
Most definitely a big joke, but a funny one. Looks great!
lol.gif

Can you just imagine if something like that were found in some remote area, still surviving in such a primitive form after oh so long.

Maybe I'll turn up something like that when I finally make that trip to Laos that I keep talking about...

Still, I might move this thread over to the general discussion section where it belongs (if anywhere) unless somebody else beats me to it...

B

benjamin

I have to say, I was at first hoping that it might have been real, however If they ever really found something like that, it would be huge news.

S

shaun

That's Diplocaulus. Some more creative scientists have gone beyond the usual assumption that the bizzare headshape prevented the animal from being swallowed, and theorised that is served as a sort of airfoil, helping them get to the water surface to hunt. Cool picture regardless - too bad about the permian extinction.
sad.gif

N

nick

Yea, it is shame about the extinction, I bet such an unusual creature would be popular with collectors and pet owners.

P

peter

I thought they were awesome animals, ever since seeing some weird dinosaur cartoon a long time ago. In that episode, they met the Diplocaulus, and became friends, but then it got sick and started to die, heh. Teaching kids about extinction by presenting a loveable creature and killing it off. . .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!