Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any tank mates for Cynops Orientalis?

D

diego

Ok, Before anything I was wondering are thee any tank mates for the COs?

I mean I know you can't keep more than species of newt in a tank unless is huge and you have a LOT if experience which I don't have none of the 2 so I was wondering if you can keep anything else in with the COs if you can't then I'll be fine with the COs by them selves, this may seem cruel to many of you but I would'nt mind if the partner was eaten by the COs...
errr.gif
frog.gif

I

ian

Hum... Watch out for those run on sentences. Really hard to read.

Anyway, I think there is no point to add in tankmate. My tank of COs are fine with themselves and I think if I add it tankmate, they might be breed like crazy as well. Isolating them might be better.

If you add in tankmate and dont care if it will be eaten. Then I will count those as food. In fact, I heard of many cases that tankmate being eaten and the eater got killed too, due to internal failure somehow.

D

diego

Thanks Pin-pin!
biggrin.gif
I will be posting most of my questions there now seeing as I'm a new
happy.gif
. I did read that article and it didn't talk much about fish much...

No actually what I meant is that it didn't talk about the fish I am thinking of keeping,they talk about Gouramis and Bettas wich seem pretty big and aggresive so they may harm the newts.

-Diego

(Message edited by Diego_(yay) on November 25, 2005)

ali

Reaction score
Diego, mixing anything with your newts is pretty risky and is not a good idea. Like I mentioned in your other post, ghost shrimp are really about the only 100% safe ideas (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.)
happy.gif

Someone may tell you "I keep a betta with my newts and things are fine" or something like that. Animals are like humans in that every one is different. They are all individuals, and will deal with different things. To be safe, for both the newts and the other creature, I wouldn't suggest mixing anything.

D

diego

all right thanks I guess I'll be keeping them by themselves with ghost shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1