My newt is sick, please help!!!!

S

shannon

I've had a fuzhong warty newt for about 3 months now (he lives by himself in a 10g with land and water access btw). Just tonight he's been laying on the bottom of his tank with his eyes shut tightly and a bit of white fuzzy stuff along his mouth. I tested the water and everything checked out. The temp is about 66 degrees F... he ate normally last night and acted fine then and this morning too. does anyone know what the problem could be and how to treat him?

I really dont know what could be wrong but it sounds like maybe somekind of infection in his mouth.I have seen wounds on fish and newts get a white fungal/bacterial infection and I have treated fish with maracyn.I have never tried it on newts because I havent had this problem. I have heard that some use it on newts in smaller quantities ,BUT,dont do it until someone with more experience says its ok. Im sorry I cant help you more but I figured I would bump this thread since no one has helped you. Maybe a more experienced member will come to your aid. What type of food are you feeding your newt BTW?

he gets frozen blood worms and brine shrimp, squid and shrimp on occasion, and newt bites if i'm out of other things

Hmmmm.Sounds like your doing things right to me.Although I never feed mine squid and couldnt tell you if its good or bad. I may get kicked for suggesting this,but if he stays in this condition much longer or gets worse quick I would send a private message to one of the mods and do a search on infections in this site and read up. Other than that,I dont know what to tell you. Sorry,wish I could help more.

How about trying a salt bath? Or keep it more on the land side. I heard those might help. Try doing a search on the forum. Good Luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back