Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT: Sick Newt!!!

A

albert

One of my chinese fire belly newts recently got what I think is a white fungal growth that is covering part of his right eye. I am extremely worried about this occurrence because it has never happened before in the 2+ years that I have had him. One thing to note is that this CFB has not been eating much at all since I came back from vacation about a month ago and has become quite skinny (I can only get him to eat 1 or 2 blackworms every now or then). I fear that my vacation (which was only 2 weeks long) may have stressed him out too much and led to this. I have since moved him to a separate container, just in case this fungus spreads to my other CFB. Any help would be appreciated!

A

albert

Thanks a bunch Joan! I guess I'll try the salt regimen and see what happens.

A

albert

The salt bath doesn't seem to be helping my newt and is instead just stressing him out. Should I continue the baths and/or increase the salinity of the baths? Or do you guys have any other ideas?

*By the way Joan, I live in Ann Arbor

I

ian

I have just cured my rough skin newt fungus growing wounded tail by putting it on a paper towel terrestrial setup and daily or bi-daily salt bath. I killed the fungus and cured the newt within one week.

i only worry if the cure is to late for an already stressed and starving newt you have.

A

albert

Oh another thing, I ran out of useable Kosher salt for the salt baths, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good brand of aquarium salt to use. Thanks!

A

albert

James, did the fungus fall off by itself, or did you have to sort of pick it off? Because I'm a little hesitant about touching/picking at the fungus which is around my newt's eyes.

A

albert

Err... that last post was meant for Ian. I have no clue why I wrote James...
crazy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1