Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger Salamander herniated intestine?

J

jim

I regret my first post is not the introduction I would have chosen. I have a fully morphed tiger salamander that has been doing quite well until tonight. Apparently he decided to force himself through the only opening in the entire tank that he truly cannot fit. I discovered him in an awkwardly bent position and not moving. I thought he was dead. When I lifted the log he was wedged around, he was very unresponsive, but living. When I picked him up, I saw he had about 3/4 inch of what appears to be his intestines protruding from his anus. I think he forced them out as he was trying to push thru the opening. My sallie is alive, but I am not sure what to do. Is there anything that can feasibly be done other than euthanizing him? If this is the best course, please advise. I just do not wish to end his life if he can be saved. Please, any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

P

paris

if the intestines are not inflated with air-youcan take a q tip that has lots of petroleum jelly on it and swab the extended parts (this is called a prolapsed anus-it is not that uncommon-but is very painful -i have seen it in my mice) as you swab the area with the jelly it should go in on its own if lubed enough or you can poke it a bit in. try this-his lethargy may be cause he is in pain but it may be some other cause of which this is just a symptom. hope this helps-do it soon before they dry out or get damaged.

J

jesse

ive seen prolapses in humans, nasty stuff.....
errr.gif

C

clarence

what about using something like KY-jelly instead, as it is water-based?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1