What's wrong with her?

K

kylee

To start I've had 4 cynops orientalis in a 10g tank for about 8 months.
About 4 months ago.. this
54767.jpg

happened to one of my newts.. and i have no ideas to explain it.
She has what looks like Bubbles of air inside her. IT'S NOT BLOAT.
She cannot go in the water.. she flips upside down and flails. So she kind of backs up into the water, sits for a bit and goes back on the land. She also "drags " herself around.. she can't walk properly.. its rather sad.
She Eats great.. and her growth has been stunted by this handicap. The other 3 newts are great with her too.
She doesn't seem sick.. and there isn't a lot i can really do.. i just wondered if anyone has seen this or.. knows what might have caused it. It bugs me.. and i hope it wasn't something i may have done.
Thanks in advance!

Kylee, I can't see your image.

oh whooops sorry.

54772.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on February 28, 2006)

Wow, that's bizarre. So this newt was normal when you got it, then became like this suddenly? In addition to the bent spine, there is a lump that seems to be like a bubble? I have no clue how this could happen. In appearance, it sort of reminds me of Metabolic Bone Disease, which is caused by nutritional problems, but that wouldn't happen all of a sudden.

Ugh! Poor newtie! Maybe it swallowed something huge that it can't pass?

Could be like an inflammation of some organ or something like that also, i suppose.

very sad ... i feel super bad for her. She wants to be like her "buddies" and go swimming.. but can't.

sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back