Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any idea on sex?

G

gina

Can anyone help me with the sexing of my two 9 month old sals.
31895.jpg

G

gina

Okey dokey i shall try that when my camera is charged,thanks.

G

gina

Ok i did my best with these pics,please bare with me,lol,i was trying to hold one in one hand and take pics with the other,excuse the eco earth,they like to get messy!!
Ok these 3 are of the bigger of the two:

31913.jpg

31914.jpg

31915.jpg

And these are the smaller one:
31916.jpg

31917.jpg

31918.jpg

P

pamela

I only have experience w/C.orientalis, but I would say you have a boy, and a girl.

G

gina

Yep i thought that too! Now for the really dumb question,i have been keeping geckos and tree frogs for quite a while and know that geckos will breed no matter what and whites tree frogs won't unless given the right conditions,what about these two,will they breed if left or do they need something special,i really don't want to breed,i keep my animals as purely pets,so i'm hoping they won't!!

G

gina

Thank you...can anyone tell me which is male and which is female?

J

jeff

The larger one (the first set of pictures) is the female, and the smaller one (the second set of pictures) is male. I'm not very experienced with Fire Salamanders, but I believe they won't breed unless there is a cooling down period first, then a warmer period to stimulate breeding behavior.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on March 03, 2005)

G

gina

Thanks for that Jeff,thats a relief to know they won't breed without help!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!