To gravel or not to gravel

N

natalie

I have two c.o.'s and i am just curious as to whether a bit of gravel on the bottom is better or not then no gravel. Or does it even matter? Probably doesnt, but i want to make them as happy as possible. Thanks guys i love this place. The best on the net.

it doesn't matter if you gravel or not, if you have gravel then it makes it harder to clean and also if the gravel is small enough then the newts might swallow it. but they would be happy enough without it.

Even though gravel does make it harder to clean. It's great for anchoring aquatic plants and aiding filtration.

Yes, i agree benjamin, seeing as i have 3 or 4 plants in with my newts. Can i use sand in my newts, or can they swallow this, causing harm? I am interested in starting to grow live plants in there...but i am going to start a new strain for that.

lol i meant "thread" *embarrassed* u can tell im new at this discussion forum thing

I only use large gravel. On average probably 2 cubic centimeters per piece in jagged shapes. I'ld never use anything small enough for them to eat.

I use just 1 cm. long peices of gravel and my newt loves it. It makes it easier to move also (providing grip.)
Cam

Sometimes I use polished river stones to line my aquatic tanks, but I usually leave them bare. I don't like using anything with sharp edges.

I actually find that with gravel (I also use large gravel 1-2 cm, random shapes) the water stays cleaner because the newt dirt and food gets trapped in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back