Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Fire Salamander - Advice Needed Urgently

R

robyn

Hi have never posted here before but i am need of some urgent help. My young adult fire salamander is listless and thin, he isn't eating and is very wobbly. He also looks like he is muddy all over, but when i tried to clean him with a piece of wet tissue, nothing came off. His eyes are shut and i am very afriad he isnt going to make it. He has always been a bit slow to catch food, so i am wondering if the people who looked after him while i was away didn't notice he wasnt eating properly? I should probably tell you about my current set-up: i have 2 adults one male, one female and they have been together for 3 months. The tank is well aerated and i spray them every day and give fresh (de-chlorinated) water. They are housed with compost, some bark and cork and a little moss. My house is quite warm, but they haven't been climbing the walls although i do not have a thermometer so i cant rule out temperature. I am currently feeding on waxworms and small crickets.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

J

john

Well I dont know much about fire salamanders, but I would take the sick one to a vet that deals with exotic pets right away. If you cant do that than I would just try to hand feed it to see if it will eat. I would also cut down on the wax worms. Like 2 a week as a treat. Wax worms are very high in fat and can easily make you animal overweight. They are also highley addictive to reptiles and amphibians. Other than that I cant help. I wish the best of luck to you and your salamander.

(Message edited by nuggular on January 13, 2005)

(Message edited by nuggular on January 13, 2005)

B

benjamin

Find out the temperature of the aquarium! Fire salamanders are not warm temperature animals. If it's warm they won't always try to escape, they'll just sit around, be stressed, and eventually die. If their enclosure is anything above 20º c then it's too warm.

R

robyn

Hi, i mostly feed tiny crickets, but thanks for the tip. The temperature in my room is not very warm, but i have moved them so they are next to the window just incase and i will get a thermometer. The thing that makes me think it isnt heat is that my other salamander is so active and healthy looking. Do they get any illnesses that i might be able to treat for? I went to a vet, she didn't really know but thought he could be dehydrated or that it could be a lack of calcium deficiency. How can i treat for these things apart from my normal set-up

R

robyn

ps. Forgot to say he wont take food at all, and doesnt seem to have his eyes open. Still very listless. I have tried someones suggestions of putting half lucozade, half water in a pipette, but he didnt take much at all

mike

Reaction score
I'm very sorry to say that your fire sal probably won't make it. I think this is a bacterial problem caused by dirty substrate, exacerbated by possibly too high temperature. It's very difficult to determine when a substrate needs replacing in a naturalistic environment, but regular intervals are best.
His muddy appearance is caused by several layers of unshed skin. Place the animal in a plastic box (an ice cream container is fine), with damp kitchen towel substrate replaced daily. Put the box in an outside, frost free building, which will slow his metabolism.
Try feeding earthworms as a staple, waxworms are ok as a occasional treat.

R

robyn

Okay thanks for the advice. I change the soil every two to three weeks so i thought all was well, but i will consider changing to a less natural set up after this. I was thinking about putting him in my semi-outside utility but it is nearly at outside temperature (currently about 5 degrees C) Is this going to be too much of a shock for him? I don't really have any other cooler rooms for him.

R

robyn

Just to say thank you for everyone's help and good wishes. I have put him in a cooler room and have my fingers crossed for him. I feel awful that my care may have made him ill, i have always thought of myself as a responsible pet owner but i guess i still have a lot to learn. Thanks again
Robyn

E

edward

What kind of soil are you using? Substrates with a low pH value can cause this sort of problem.

Ed

R

robyn

I have been using potting compost, as recommended by the place i bought them from. I am not sure what name. I am taking him to the vets today to get a shot of anti-biotics, even if he doesnt make it at least he should be in less pain
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1