Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt tankmates

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have a spare 30G tall that I don't want to make into another aquarium(since i already have 3) and saw a Palludarium at this fish store and decided that is what i wanted to do. It would be 1/3 freshwater with a waterfall and lots of plants and moss on bogwood. I would like to know what I could all put in there. I really want some fire belly newts and fish for bottom activity but also want some type of land dweller that will add activity to the other 75% of my tank. So is there anything that could go with my fire belly newts that won't hurt them at all? Thank you all in advance

L

lucas

However, Although kaysie is mostly correct, Animals from the same habitat and of the same size are usually okay. For example, the eastern newt, and one of the smaller, north american terrestrial salamanders (NOT TIGERS!).

K

kaysie

No, thats not true, Lucas. Eastern's are highly toxic, and putting them in with an Ambystoma is just asking for death. Besides taht, adult easterns are aquatic, not terrestrial.

P

peter

Even similar sized, non-toxic species from similar locations can have problems, everything from disease to territoriality, etc. Like Kaysie said, it's a really bad idea.

J

joseph

Small harmless fish could be used, but you will have to choose carefully. Since newts live in fishless ponds, this isn't the best choice.

K

kaysie

"small harmless fish" often end up being small harmless food, if small enough.

W

william

i've got zebra dianos, white cloud mountain minnows and a type of barb in with my paddle tail and both the fish and newt seem to be getting along fine

S

shaun

I always thought that zebra danios were 100% harmless but I had to separate mine from my other fish. I've never kept danios (or any other fish for that matter) with newts, but I've noticed them attacking my ranchu and picking at his rear. If they can attack a fish that's four times bigger than them, I can definitely see them bothering firebellies. The same goes for feeder minnows.

I

ira

Zebra daynos are notorious nippers, espically when kept with "fancy" tailed fish. Usually though, if you keep them in small schools they will just chase each other around and leave the other fish alone (in my experience at least).

W

william

yeah but my fish don't seem to attack the newt at all I even think they don't know he's there. Also what do you think about keeping paradise fish in with the newt?

(Message edited by will_j on August 14, 2004)

J

jennifer

William, how long have the fish been with the newt? Paddletails are one of the few newts that can be very adept at catching fish. I assume you won't be too upset if the fish eventually become "dinner". What is the tank temperature? Most fish like temps over 72F, while newts do best below 72F.

J

jesse

i have sen firebellies hound fish down for a few days then get the fish at night, the next day they were all chewing on it and the fish ofcourse was dead.

W

william

the fish have been in for about two weeks now and the temperature varies from night to day since it is unheated. but I would say an average of 20.5oc. I know that he eats tadpoles because I give him some from time to time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!