Eating habits

K

karen

One of my nvv newts is not eating. When i first got him, he went about 2 weeks w/o eating much or anything at all. After I took him home, he began eating and up until last week, he had a huge appetite, eating every day, even being aggressive during feeding time. Then last week, he stopped eating again. I try to hand feed him now, putting hom in a separate container and hoping that he'll eat at least one worm. I'm nervous b/c he's getting thin. Do feeding habits change suddenly? He's still very active so other than him getting thin, he looks and acts healthy.

I have the same thing happened before on a CFB. It died afterward, but I hope yours will do fine.

I suspected that my newt was having some internal failure. Probably b/c when I got him he was already very weakened.

How long have you got him?

Try feeding him small amounts of live foods. Earthworms, waxworms, and blackworms are always a good bet for picky newts.

That's just the thing, he WASN'T a picky eater up until last week. In fact, he was a very aggressive eater, and probably ate too much! He actually backs away from the food now (I am feeding them live blackworms, so it's the food he always liked), and has become very shy and reserved. I just don't understand why the big change all of a sudden, it's not like he lost his appetite gradually.?????????

It happened to mines as well. One died afterward. One just stopped eating and resumed eating after a week or two. maybe all you have to do is keep trying and then wait.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back