Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I had ordered 2 newts from carolina.com they both have orange spotted underbellys one is larger and more lighter colored than the other one and the 2

J

jack

i had ordered 2 newts from carolina.com they both have orange spotted underbellys one is larger and more lighter colored than the other one and the 2nd one is alot darker.anyone know what species of newt they would be? and if they would be male or female?

J

jack

this is the big one in the picture,the smaller blacker one is in his hiding place
happy.gif
29996.jpg

W

william

hummm. hard to tell, the body almost looks like some kind of triturus or cynops but the head seems to be quite bony, can you take some clearer images

J

jennifer

This one has me stumped. I know that Carolina Biological sells "unspecified newts" which are usually Cynops orientalis. I'm wondering if this is a C.o. with very strange coloration.

J

joeri

Looks like a hybrid to me, but than again, I'm don't know much other species than the 2 I have
happy.gif

N

nate

That's orientalis. When some of them "go grey", they get a very blotched or spotted appearance.

W

william

the best way to tell would be to look at their cloacas (private parts) if it is swollen then it is a male, thats the best way of telling.

J

jack

Here is a picture of my tank with some new plants,my newts seem attracted to the plants and are playing on them..im hoping ones a male and ones a female
happy.gif
30210.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1