Chiller?

J

john

Hi Guys:
Does anyone know of an inexpensive chiller that I can buy that you can just simply place inside the water of my Western Newt 30-gal tank? The ones I have found online seem complex and include some type of complex modification of the tank just to install it. I'm not sure how the CoolWorks IceProbe Chiller works (is it placed inside or outside of the water, do you have to attach a pump to it, etc?), but it just seems to be a fan. Why don't they just make a glass tube-style chiller that you can just put into the water, suction cup it to the glass, and plug it in, as in the visi-therm heaters' style?
The room in my house is relatively warm year-round and causes the temperature of the water to be around 74-75 degrees year-round. I try to open the windows, but it doesn't help, and this is the only room where I am permitted to have the tank. Any suggestions/ideas? Thank you.

John

John,
I'm in the same situation as you, since I live on Long Island- the temps are getting up there! I'm considering a chiller as well, but you may want to try these ideas first:
1. If possible, crank the AC in your room, I've found the AC can drop the temp several degrees in mt tank.

2. Use a small fan that blows over the top of the tank (use a screen top), this will aid in evaporation.

3. Keep bottles of water (let tap water rest for 24 hrs first) in the fridge and do partial water changes. This can also lower the temperature considerably, but obviously it has to be done on a regular basis.

I'll keep reading to see if anyone finds a simple chiller as well!

For ice probe, you are supposed to drill a hole in your aquarium. I dont know why they have to design it like that. If it is just like the heater, I think a lot more ppls will buy it. Most likely including me.

Hi Guys:
Well, I've just finished reading every post in the newt section that included the word "chiller" in it, and have learned a lot of valuable info.. For now, I think I will try the floating frozen water bottle switching technique. In the meantime, I will order a dual-fan model to place at the top of my 30-gal tank from the following website: http://www.aquatek-california.com/index2.htm It can mount vertically or horizontally to your tank's rim, or you can place it on a screen top. I think that should help for now until my parents are willing to put on our central air conditioning - he he. It's been 5 days and my Western newts have not returned to the water to eat because of the heat. I will definitely take care of this now before any problems occur. Any additional help would also be appreciated. Thank you.

John

I will suggest that if you are sure to get the water cool again, try to raise the water level so that the newt will not have a dry place to stay on. This will help it to go to water faster. Worked for me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back