Are fire-belly newts solitary or social?

C

christie

Hello! I just got a fire belly newt and worry that he might be lonely by himself in the tank. Should I get him a friend? Or do newts like being alone?

O man, if you have at least a 10 galllon, definatly get him a friend! Even if he doesnt seem to interact or anything, they appreciate it. I know mine are way happier in a group them all alone.

Hehe, newts are solitary animals not pack animals. They don't get lonely, that's all in your head
wink.gif

You dang right. All I'm saying is that I know my cynops are happier with 2 or more. But, like I said before, its your call.

You can tell when your newt is happy?
Or are you more happy when you - as a social being - see that a newt is not alone?

Cynops are not social animals nor are they even semisocial. They do not need company. However a ten gallon tank is large enough if you would like to keep two or three fire-belly newts (I am assuming you mean Cynops orientalis and not Pachytriton (which are occasionally sold as fire-bellied newts, at least around here).
Here is an article that may help some
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml
Ed

Well I myself am happier seeing more than one in a big 20 gallon long. Maybe newts in the wild are solitary, but I think in a small tank, its a totally different story. I belive that my newts are happier, because I have seen them alone and in groups, and through my studies have strong belief in this. Maybe it is just my newts, but im stickin with it.

Okay let us discuss happiness.
Happiness definiton from dictionary.com (I'm feeling too lazy to pull down my Compact Volume of the Oxford English Dictionary as it is heavy and I have to use a magnifying glass to read the entries).

Characterized by good luck; fortunate.
Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.
Being especially well-adapted; felicitous: a happy turn of phrase.
Cheerful; willing: happy to help.

Characterized by a spontaneous or obsessive inclination to use something. Often used in combination: trigger-happy.
Enthusiastic about or involved with to a disproportionate degree. Often used in combination: money-happy; clothes-happy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, from hap, luck. See hap.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
happi·ly adv.
happi·ness n.
Synonyms: happy, fortunate, lucky, providential
These adjectives mean attended by luck or good fortune: a happy outcome; a fortunate omen; a lucky guess; a providential recovery.

How does your newt convey it is happy? Without a clear method of communication this is a projection of human emotion upon an inappropriate target. It would be more appropriate to say that your newts do well when there are several of them together as opposed to saying they are happy. It would be more appropriate to say that your newts do not display any symptoms of stress which can be quantified by behavior and potentially by serum levels of corticosteriods.

Ed

Umm, okay, you did'nt have to get all technical on me, ha ha. What I meant by happy, is that they are more active, show less stress, and seem ultimatly healthier. Sorry, if I didn't make sense, and thanks for the definition. And like I have said before, mine seem "happier", but no two newts are alike. Good luck to all!

When my C.o. lived alone he led a very terrestrial existance now with a female in the tank he spends most of his day in the water. I think he lure of a potential mate may have drawn him in.

I believe the happiness question is all human orientated as regards newts. Even though I have 13 C.os in a 36"x12"x15" tank, I think a solitary one would be just as happy as the group is.

Ed with regards to Pachytriton occasionally being sold as fire bellies, I have never seen them sold as anything else locally, I do not even think the shop keeper and his staff even are aware they have any other name. As well as the Pachytriton being sold as fire bellies the tank right at the side had Alpestris in being sold as firebellies too.

Except during breeding, I noticed they could care less about another newt. It is either a stepping stone or a competitor for food. When in breeding mode, the males love the females and the females just think the males are nuisiances....LOL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back