Newts feeding habits and more

C

chris

I have two warty (paramesotritons) newts.
1)one is plumper with flat claca, but has faint blue on tail. Is it male or female?
2)Definate male is chasing m/f round tank. He snaps at his/her tail. She/he occasionally tries to swim to the top an keep swimming! Is this breeding or aggressive behaviour (may relate to q.1) and do I need to separate them?
3)The newts are both healthy, but do not eat much - a small cube of frozen blood worm is all they will eat between them every other to every 3 days. If I put any more in, they normally refuse it and they will not touch anything but bloodworm. Is this okay?
chris

Related to question 3, I have a question of my own. How much do you normally feed one newt? I have a t. granulosa that I feed once every 2-3 days, but I don't know how much to give in one setting. I've seen pics of rather large chunks of food that you guys feed your newts. I have frozen bloodworms that come in those individual cubes (about 1/2in. square). How much should I feed my newt out of that per feeding? Is 1/2 that cube too much, or too little? I worry about over feeding.

The blue stripe indicates a male. If they are P. hongkongensis, it is impossible to distinguish the sexes by the size of cloaca. Sounds more like aggressive behavior, but I've never seen mating in warty newts, so I don't know. You might want to try a larger tank, or adding more hiding places so they can stay separate.

For one large newt, half a cube of bloodworm every 3 days sounds normal to me. My smaller newts eat much less than that, especially in winter.

my cfb are currently eating more than that amount and their tank is pretty cool at the moment (~65F)

I dont have left over food in the tank and the newts dont look particularly over or underweight.

interesting...

My newt has a tan stomache green back and orange spots is it a boy or girl and it's half full size what does it eat?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back