Sexing CFB

S

stefanie

Hey everyone. My tank finally finished cycling so I picked up two chinese fire bellies. I'm not sure if these pics are good enough to sex them, but I'd appreciate your input. If they're not good enough, is there a good way to take pics of them (to sex them) with out taking them out of their tank?

Here's newt 1 (who started shedding today)
78108.jpg

78109.jpg

And newt 2
78110.jpg

78111.jpg

Thanks for your time =)

Oh, how long does it normally take for a CFB to shed?

i havnt had experience with these guys but I think they may both be males

They should complete their shedding within a few minutes, maybe up to an hour or so. I would say you have 2 males.

Ok I noticed that my newt still has skin around its neck area, as if he shed only its head region and not the rest of his body. It's been several hours. Is it stressful for them if it takes too long to shed? Is there anything I should/can do to help it along?

I don't think you should try to remove the skin, it could do more harm than good. Shedding problems sometimes indicate health problems, but it could just be the stress of being in a new tank.

oh i didn't mean help remove, but maybe change set up somehow, but it's all good. He's done shedding, I don't know where it went, maybe he ate it? Thanks for the help. I hope it's not too stressful to have 2 males in a 10Gal....

Two Chinese firebellies is usually considered the right number for a 10 gallon. They shouldn't be stressed as long as you keep up on your water changes.

And yes, they do eat their sheds normally. I just posted some pictures in the photo gallery of it. There are other people with pictures of the same subject in there, most a thousand times better than my own
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back