Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger sal not eating

D

devynn

I know that it has been a while since my last post but my critters weren't giving me any problems so I figured I didn't need to bug all of you. Just recently (past 4 weeks), my favorite tiger sal started refusing to eat. First, she would turn her head away from earthworms and only eat crickets. Then, she started hiding during feeding time when she used to be the one begging for food. Now, when I put crickets in front of her she either walks away or puts her head down. I used to be able to get her to eat ReptoMin but now she won't even touch it. It has been quite a while since I have seen her eat and I am getting worried. She doesn't look skinny yet but I don't want her to starve. Would it affect her if one of the other sals is a male? Could that be what is putting stress on her or does that even matter? Tonight, I am going to isolate her to see if that helps. I was just looking for some suggestions!

K

kaysie

Sals can go a long time without food, especially if its cool.

Try leaving worms/crickets in there and turning the lights off and leaving. Or try waxworms, those are always a favorite of my jeffersons.

Or maybe she's just not hungry. Keep trying.

C

clare

My Tiger Sal is not eating either
sad.gif
I tried putting it in a seperate container with some water and a few earth worms as the other tiger sal would have eaten them. The Tiger just walks around the container. A couple of weeks ago it ate a few crickets. I live in the UK, does anyone have any other ideas. I'm getting very worried as the Tiger is getting very thin
sad.gif

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Clare

K

kaysie

Tiger sals dont normally live in water, and this is probably not a good setup. Also, moving the animal is probably stressful to it, causing it to not eat. If you've got two different species of animals in the same tank, this is stressful and could lead to not eating (and its highly recommended to seperate them immediately, as all caudates are toxic and you should not house two different species together). Try hand feeding both animals, so you know they are not fighting over food.

D

devynn

The only thing that has been different is the temperature. Lately, because I am pregnant, my hormones have been raging and I can't stand to be hot. Usually when I wake up in the mornings, it is about 64F degrees in my house which keeps me happy. I isolated her last night and I saw her eat a cricket so I wasn't too worried. Later on I checked on her and a cricket ran over her foot and she grabbed it and spit it back out. I counted how many I put in the tank and this morning she hadn't eaten any of them. She looks so depressed. I hate having to move her but I don't know how else to monitor her. I took her tunnel she hides in and put it in the isolation tank and she was in that this morning. I also set up the tank almost exactly like the big one so it wouldn't stress her out. Should I leave her in isolation or put her back with the others?

R

russ

With the drop in temperature and the natural change in light cycle, it's probably trying to stand down for the winter season. I use to keep some wild caught ones from Colorado and they always went off feed this time of year whether I cooled them or not. Keep it as cool as you can (but above 40F) for a couple of months and it should start feeding again after the new year. I actually kept mine down for about 90 to 120 days before trying to feed them again.

RUSS

D

devynn

They didn't do this last winter so that is why I have been getting worried. The big one is refusing to eat worms now and will only eat crickets. But the other one will pretty much take your hand off if it gets a chance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!