Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live plants and newts

K

krystin

I bought Lilly bulbs from Wal-mart. Are they safe to put in with my Taricha granulosa newts?

Does anyone suggest different live plants?

W

william

Hi Krystin,

they could be okay depending on their size and species, do you know what type they are?

some of my favourite plants for newt vivaria include:
small ferns
ivies
pothos (devil's ivy)
moss
ficus pumilia

for water plants:
pothos
elodea
hornwort
java fern
java moss
crystalwort

hope this helps

J

jim

Hi Krystin,

I use those bulbs in several of my tanks. All the newts love them.(One even lays eggs on them)The only problem is that sometimes several will not bloom and will eventually decay. Other live plants I use are devils ivy, elodea, wandering jew, peace lilys, and duckweed to name a few.

K

krystin

The type of lilly bulbs I have are Nymphaea (Red or Green).

thank you gentlemen.

W

william

oh right, water lilies

water lilies need a lot of light to thrive, you could try them, but don't be suprised if they die eventually.

J

jim

I use grow lights on my tanks and the lilys do great. They bloom regularly and get so thick at the surface that the newts can haul out on them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1