Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Starved Eastern Newts

A

adam

Is there anyone who has had Eastern Newts that refused to eat? Both my eastern newts were VERY skinny and eventually passed. Any advice would be appreciated!

S

swan

Can you tell us more, like in what kind of setup you had them, what you tried to feed them etc.

A

amy

My eastern newts both did this too. I have had them for about 1 year and they were very healthy and eating really well. But then one day they decided to come out of the water and I haven't seen them go back in for about 5 weeks. I haven't seen them eating either. They must be eating something though if they haven't died yet surely? I have been feeding them brine shrimp and blood worms and they always ate loads. They haven't lost any wieght yet. I had an eastern newts before that did this same thing and he died. i have offered them crickets but they are not interested.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Amy, if you don't see them eating, then they aren't eating. Since they can go for months without food, that's why they have not appeared to lose weight (yet). Eastern newts do this sometimes (come out of the water and refuse food), and if you don't change things, these could die. It nearly always happens in summer, when heat stress adds to whatever other problems they might have.

Reduce the amount of available land space. Keep the land moist. Lower the temperature. Put a frozen bottle of water in the tank every evening and, if possible, open the windows to get the room cold during the night (assuming your weather is cool now). If there are any other animals in the tank (fish, etc) remove them. Also, test the water for ammonia if you haven't. Do a "gradual" tank cleaning (remove debris and do partial water changes). Try tempting them to eat with pieces of chopped worms. If you can describe their setup, there may be other things you could also try. I hope they improve!

S

steve

I think jennewt hit it, but here's more (probably redundant)

You have to ask yourself:

Do I change the water weekly/bi-weekly w/very good filter(& no overcrowding)

Do I keep the water COOL (difficult) around 60-ish degrees? NOT good over 70 for long term. (each species is different but that's my rule of thumb)

Have I been mixing species together in the same tank?

Any chemicals(cleaner) near tank getting into it?

Does he/she look bloated?(could be temp that attributed to infection) URL:
http://www.caudata.org/caudatecentral/articles/bloatEDK.html (although that pic is a horrible case and my cases never looked that bad)

When you put him/her into water does it: swim rapidly to get out(confused swimming) Just sits there on land or EVEN top of water like dead corpse? (I'm thinking thermal stress(temp again), death might follow.) try cooling the newt down slowly, and isolation is essential.

This is what ive dealt with and read/heard so I hope it might help you. Some of the questions seem mean or drastic but, this is what I would ask myself. (not picking on you)

steve

A

amy

Thank you for your help. I have taken him out (away from the others)and put him into the kind of setup you suggested, the water quality is good so hopefully changing his environment will be the answer. Thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1