Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Heat-tolerant Salamanders?

M

matt

I'm wondering if there are such a thing? Like, salamanders that can take 70 degrees and up weather. I searched for awhile but couldn't find any info. They all seem to only tolerate cooler temperatures. Just curious because Southern California doesn't get too cold.

I

ian

Hi Matt...cynops ensicauda commonly called sword tailed newts can stand temps above 70 degrees ,up to around 78 i believe...ian

A

abrahm

Well, it doesn't get very cold where a person is, but there are plenty of microhabitats that salamanders and newts can utilize that are significantly cooler than the majority of their surroundings. In burrows underground, the edges of cool spring fed streams, the bottoms of lakes, etc are all significantly cooler than standard air temps in the sun. Newts and salamanders live in these cooler places around and underneath the warmer ones.

Their are some tropical species of salamanders. Many of them are high altitude animals, but I would imagine some of the salamanders of the Bolitoglossa family would be a little more heat tolerant. There are not many in captivity and those imported from South America do no usually last long.

And as Ian said, I've heard the same thing about Cynops ensicauda and their resistance to higher temperatures.

T

tadas

As I understood from articles at caudata culture, Ambystoma opacum and Tylototriton verrucosus also can be tolerant to high temperatures. Never kept these species by myself, so I have to rely on experience of other keepers.

J

jameswei

This is purely from my own personal experiences but ambystoma a tigrium seems pretty resilient to anything you cna throw at it.

J

jonathan

I don't know about the other issues involved in keeping it, but southern varieties of noto. viridescens (louisianensis,piaropicola) live in quite a warm habitat naturally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1