Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger finally ate a WORM!!!

L

leanne

I didn't even have to go for a whole week without feeding him, he must have been just hungry enough to eat something (finally) other than a cricket. My question: I have read somewhere that to keep worms for more than a day might result in bacterial growth in the worm and thus harm the salamander when he eats it----I can dig my own fresh worms for now, but winter is coming, so I will have to purchase them from a bait shop soon. How does everyone else store their worms without risk of bacteria/mold/etc.? Or is this really even a concern I should worry about? Also, do your sallies refuse food after a couple helpings of a cricket or 2 or a worm or 2? I used to have a salamander who would eat anything you put in front of him, but the guy I have now stops after either 2 or 3 crickets or, as in yesterday's case, a worm and a cricket.

N

nate

Hmmm...never heard that Leanne. Clearly, if the worm is dead and growing mold, you shouldn't feed it. But live worms do not grow bacteria after a day. I store my nightcrawlers in the refridgerator, just like a baitshop does. They can be kept several weeks this way.

It's not unusual for salamanders to suddenly get "shy" after the first couple bites of food and decide to stop eating. It depends on the individual salamander's "personality" and also on how tame/conditioned they are.

L

leanne

Nate, thanks for writing, I will store the worms in the fridge, then--cool.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1