My Tiger Salamander Isn't Eating Either

J

joyce

Hello everybody. I'm new here and have been looking at past posts about similar problems.

I have two tiger salamanders. One of which has refused to eat for the past 3 weeks. First off she's been my companion for a little over 10 years. And people tell me that she's just getting old and is probably ready to die. Like many of your salamanders, she was vibrant, highly energetic and snapped at anything that moved. Then three weeks ago she just lost it. She refused to eat, she barely moves from her hole. She moved once into the water to shed her skin but was too weak to swim out, so I had to lift her out. If I place food in front of her she looks at it and then turns away. She's very thin now and I'm extremely worried.

I know temperature has a lot to do with how a salamader will act. It had been pretty hot in our apartment for three weeks ago for a week or so. Because the sun likes ot shine right into our apartment it can get pretty hot. It's been a lot cooler lately but she hasn't bounced back. From what I've read from previous posts I'll try to isolate her in a smaller travel tank I have and keep her in a cool dark place, pour crickets in and see how she does.

The other salamander is a barred tiger and he's quite energetic. In fact he loves to share her hidey hole and trounces her on his way out when he sees me coming toward the tank. I'm sure that can't be good.

Are there any other ideas? I don't know how salamanders 'naturally' expire. And maybe i need to accept it's close to her time. But it's extremeley traumatizing to have to watch her starve herself to death.

Thanks for the ideas!
Joyce

Isolating her in a cool place is a good idea; being with the other sal can't help. Be careful about putting in crickets. When crickets get hungry, they can try to nibble on a salamander, particularly a weakened one. Be sure the crickets have some of their own chow to munch, and don't add too many. You might also try offering a waxworm or earthworm.

She's isolated now in a smaller tank and in a cool dark place. She immediately burrowed into the moss an substrate and has been there ever since. She does poke her head out when I come by to check on her though and will look at the cricket I offer her but won't bite.

I'll try the worms next I think.

Thanks for the ideas!

This is really common in a lot of Ambystoma this time of year. Even if you don't cool them they will often go into "hibernation mode". Just put it in the coolest (not <40F) spot in your house and let it set for a couple of months.

RUSS

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back