Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is pond water ok for baby newts.

J

jim

Ive got 7 baby italian crested newts that recently hatched, I know I must change half the water daily with spring water but is it ok to use pond water(from my healthy wildlife garden pond) as its got lotsa little bugs in it that the newts could eat. Also what is the best thing to feed them as they are very small, and can I put some pond weed in their nursery tub????

W

william

yes you can use pondweed, infact it is best if you do, it gives them places to hide in, and they are less likely to eat eachother. you can use pondwater, but make sure there are no bad insects in there. if your still stuck for food, try infusoria. get a lettuce leaf and dip it into boiling water for about 20 secs. then put it into pond water and leave it for 48 hrs. it should make a green cloud in the water, which is very good for young newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1