Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Petstores are dumb

E

erik

I went to the local pet store today, and as usual, it was run by folks who know even less than me about caring for newts. Fortunately, these guys were at least smart enough to give them some land to crawl onto, but unfortunately that land was directly under the light which was fortunately fluorescent. The thing that pissed me off the most, though was the fact that they had a heater in the water and the temperature was almost 76 degrees in the tank. There were about 3 firebellies in the tank and I was tempted to buy them and bring them home just to get them out of the sauna they were in. But until I can get my water temperature down just a bit lower, I'm not trying anything. My t. granulosa might not play nice with them anyway considering how small they are.

J

jennifer

That's sad, but not unusual. You're right, you should not mix these species, or any for that matter. Also, newly-bought newts (even if they were the same species as yours) would need to be quarantined for several weeks because they often carry disease, which could infect your newts.

Next time, I would suggest politely asking to speak to the aquarium manager and pointing out that the heater is harmful to these animals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1