Fungus Treatment for Newts?

L

lindsay

AH! Okay, hey guys I need some help. My smaller newt (Taricha granulosa) has had a cloudy eye for a while now and I'm trying to figure out what's up with him. I am vet shadowing this summer and someone suggested to use an aquarium fungus treatment to see if it would clear up (since fish get a cloudy eye problem as well). It has only happened to the one newt (I have 2) so I'm going to guess it's not contagious....can anyone help or give suggestions? Will aquarium fungus treatment (for fish) harm my newts? Is that even what I should be trying??

It's hard to speculate on treatment, as I think you don't really know what is causing it. Also, what actual medicine is in the fish anti-fungal?

For cloudy eye there are basically 3 possible causes: shedding issues (it goes away after shed), nutritional issues (usually affects both eyes, though possibly to varying extents), and infection. Even if it's infection, we don't know if it's bacterial or fungal. Is there any sign of oozing? How cloudy is it?

If you search the forum archives for cloudy AND eye, you'll find some previous discussions. Also, if you have access to the bible (Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry by Wright & Whitaker) read the chapter on eyes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back