Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire salamander

K

kieron

will this size viv be ok for a pair of fire salamanders
wink.gif

20" Plastic Box
LxWxH 20"x14 1/2"x6"

D

david

Should be more than enough according to info in Cau. Culture. Mine are in a 10" box.

E

ester

In my experience, fire salamanders don't move around a lot. They do need a few good places to hide to be happy. I use cork bark tubes, a exo-terra stone hide (medium) and bark/moss. The stone hide is great, you can remove the outside part to see how your salamanders are doing or to let them know it's feeding time.
While it's technically not necessary and brings the possible risk of drowning, I also provide a very small pool. I use one of these stone feeding dishes as pool.

D

david

Sorry, I'm trying to learn the "simple " process to send pictures. I think I'm going to have to break down and get an inexpensive digital camera. By the way, eventually I will try and put my newts in a 10" by 20" tank.

K

kieron

Will 460 x 300 x 170mm (18" x 12" x 6.5") be ok to house a pair it is the large flat Exo Terra Faunarium
wink.gif

as my local petshop sells them
wink.gif

K

kieron

What about these sizes Large: 46L x 30W x 17H cm
Medium: 36L x 21W x 16H cm there are the Exo Terra Faunariums

K

kieron

Can some tell me if these are ok as i am not sure what the d means lol thank you

Size of each (H)16.8,(W)46.1,(D)75.8cm.

A

alex

The large would probably be your best bet. As with most salamanders, floor space is of the upmost importance. The more floor space the better. I know some company,I think it might have been Exo Terra, used to make cages like that which were more horizontally constructed, and these are perfect. I have a few and i'm pretty sure you can find them in any pet store. I'm still tied to sweater boxes though, you should really consider. Alex.

K

kieron

Thank you for your help

This a under bed stoage that i found today is this ok or not

Size of each (H)16.8,(W)46.1,(D)75.8cm.

J

joan

This would be fine for pretty much any sal. D means depth, or length, as it is used here. H is how high it comes off the floor.

J

joan

A pair would be just fine, as long as you provide them enough hides.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologize! The more questions you ask, the better off your animals will be.

Good luck with the fires.

K

kieron

thank you

How many hides for a pair would you say i am thinking 3 or 4 any ideas lol

L

lewis

3 would probably be OK. I have noticed with my Fire's that they usually return to the same spot that they came from, I don't know if thats just wierd or common for Fire's though, I am just saying that is what I have noticed with mine :)
I have quite a large tank 2.5ft by 1ft which I keep two Salamandra salamandra terretris in and they both roam around the tank and then return to their favorite hide in the tank.
Which type are you going for?
Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1