OVERfeeding?

K

karen

One of my nvv newts has an insatiable appetite. He was sort of in hibernation-mode for a week and slimmed down considerably. Now, he's back to his active self but I swear, he can eat like a wolf. Should I be concerned with portion control? I hate to stop feeding him when he's still obviously hungry. Or should I just feed him until he stops wanting food? Silly question, I know.

They're opportunistic feeders. They'll eat whenever food is available, not necessarily when they're 'hungry'.

Just feed it until it looks plump. If it starts looking too fat, don't feed as much. If it looks too skinny, feed it a little more.

Some newts may have internal parasites, and thus need to eat more to compensate. I agree with Joan, keep feeding it unless it looks like it's getting fat. Overweight is rarely a problem for newts.

I feed my newt every other day or every other, other day. And I agree if my newt gets kinda fat I don't feed it for a week then feed it normally.

In the wild Notopthalmus gorge themselves when the food is plenty and available, ie; frog spawn spring/summer. This compensates for periods of little to no food in the winter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back