Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food for the winter

C

carly

Hi,
I'm wondering what I should feed my newts for the winter. I have 2 t. grans. and I've been feeding them earthworms from my garden at home all summer, before that they were getting dry horrible stuff (that I know they shouldn't have...) anyway, they are obviously not keen on starting in on that again, and the ground is going to freeze pretty soon so there will be no more worms. The pet store nearby doesn't carry worms etc. so I was wondering if there are any alternatives. I saw a post about beef heart...
Thanks
Carly

D

danny

Carly, If you ask the people at the local pet store if they have frozen blood worms. I know most of the big name ones in Canada usually all have freezers located somewhere in the store. Inside should be lots of frozen blood worm cubes, brine shrimp, etc

J

jeff

If you have the time and space, an alternative you might consider is culturing your own earthworms during the winter. All you need is a nice sized tub, some soil and food for the worms (i.e. decaying vegetables). If you need any more info, Jen wrote a wonderful article on this subject here: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

I

ian

Hey, more Canadians! Great!
Anyway, I think there must be some fishing supply store in Hamilton. Try finding a store that sell bait. I bought my worms from there. But make sure you ask where they got the worms. Make sure is chemical free.

J

jeff

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Ian Choi wrote on Wednesday, 21 September, 2005 - 04:40 :</font>

". But make sure you ask where they got the worms. Make sure is chemical free."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Buying bait to use as food is a bit risky. Unfortunately one member on this board lost just about their entire collection of newts because of tainted live bait used as food.
sad.gif

C

carly

That's good to know. Will it be chemical free if I buy it from a pet store? I'm sure there are no guarantees there... but...

pete

Reaction score
I also have a difficult time obtaining worms, so I recently started a worm farm. It's surprisingly easy, doesn't stink if you bury the scraps), and fun to watch the worms grow. I'd recommend it if you have the space for it.

J

jennifer

I think bait worms are generally safe. I've never heard of any catastrophes following the use of bait earthworms. In my experience, the ones at bait shops or Walmart seem to be fresher than the ones at pet shops.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1