Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White fluffy cotton

J

joey

noticed some white fluffy cotton thingy stuff growin on the lips of my salaman. should i seperate? what medication should i use?

J

joey

27147.jpg

J

joey

could be caused durin feedin period. bitten by other salaman. should i add salt in the hospital tank?

F

filipe

Hi Joey,

Most of these lesions are caused by bacteria/fungi (saprolegnia) or even algae and usually these are secondary infections of wounds (the possibility of this being a bite from another tank mate is very high).

Nevertheless, it could have other causes (although much less common) like facial abrasions (from rubbing the face on the glass), neopasia (like fibroma) or even chemical burns from high ammonia concentration in the water. It could also been bitten by some live prey.

First of all check the water pH and ammonia/nitrites/nitrates concentration. As a preventive measure put this animal in a quarantine tank with very clean aged water and start salt baths once daily (remember it will only acts against fungi and some bacteria). You can also apply some local desinfectant (there are a number that are safe in amphibians, just check some other posts).

I should also advise you to look for veterinary help because although this might look a common fungal/bacterial infection you may be dealing with some other problem which will be needing some special diagnosis (like citology/biopsy, culture) or treatment.

Hope this helps!

Filipe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1