Salamander w/ injured tail help

R

robert

Hello,

About a week ago I found an injured tiger salamader at the woods. The tail was run over by I think a bicycle and had deep wounds, worse then in this thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7/1695.html?1038714760

I washed the wounds in warm water then used hydrogen peroxide then Neosporin antibiotic ointment, set up a spare tank with lizard litter that I have for my cameleon and placed in an old log, under which he promptly hid. Put in a few nightcrawlers also.

Today I pulled him out to see how he's progressed.

Could be better, the flesh on the tail is falling off and it looks like the tail might fall of if I left it.

So that is my question, should I remove the tail?, and if so and there some better methods?

Also, I intend on releasing him in the spring if he survives.

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Regarding the extent of the wound.

There is a deep cut at or on the vent, if you call them vents in salamanders.

Update.

Well I left him alone for the last couple weeks, just checked on him, tail is gone and the stub is healed ...looks like he'll be just fine.
happy.gif

Thanks,
Bob

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back